Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Friday, July 1, 2011

Investment Update.

I realized something really important today...I don't know my students. I know their behaviors and their test scores, but I do not know them. I realized today that over half of my time with them is over and I don't know most of my students favorite colors, if they have siblings, what they like to do, their favorite foods, their favorite books, or even what part of the county they are from. I know absolutely nothing about the majority of my students.

To put it in perspective, two weeks into my student teaching experience I could have talked for at least 30 minutes about each of my students' interests, likes, and dislikes. I can't talk 30 minutes about those things for all 20 students now. This is a problem, and starting tomorrow I am going to fix it. I am going to start with the five I have been responsible for parent communication with and work my way to each student. By this time next week, I want to be able to tell you about my students...not just their scores and behaviors (though I expect these things to get better as a result of knowing them better).

The bottom line is I need to know about my students to help close the gap for them.This starts now.

No comments:

Post a Comment