Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Cost of Dropping Out

NPR is starting a week-long series on the cost of dropping out of school. Their goal is to discuss the economic and emotional consequences of dropping out of school by putting faces to drop out statistics. Even though I have heard many of these statistics before, I am humbled by the magnitude of the achievement gap.

I look forward to reading this series and I cannot wait to meet my students and help give them the opportunity to an education that will hopefully help keep them in school. My goal is to create life-long learners--students, that no matter their circumstances, want to learn and will continue to keep learning. In my classroom I hope to start this by instilling a sense of independence into my first graders. I want them to realize from an early age that they are responsible for their own education. I believe that this will "plant the seeds" for not just staying in school, but benefiting from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment