Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Monday, July 4, 2011

I am the decisive element in the classroom.

" I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized." --Dr. Haim Ginott


In our CS session on Friday we were given this quote and asked to write the following "I will..." statements on the back. Here are mine:

I will create a welcoming environment by... being aware of my students; being open to their questions and concerns; and preventing and addressing issues of community and culture.

I will uphold a welcoming environment by... building relationships with and taking responsibility for all of the needs and feelings of my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment