Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Thursday, July 7, 2011

Samurai, layers, and cheerleaders oh my!

Q. What do you want to be when you grow up?

A. 'er ranger.

I love asking young children what they want to be when they grow up. Their answers are fantastic. Here are a few from my students:
-Cheerleader
-Cheerleader and tee-ball player
-football and basketball player
-lawyer
-police man
-samurai

My challenge? To convince them that reading and math will help them reach their very ambitious career goals.

In all seriousness, every once and a while you can SEE a student's  eyes light up. Children have a look of pure excitement and joy. I got that today from one of my most serious and hardest working students. I was doing her investment survey and I told her..

"Did you know cheerleaders need to use math? When they learn their cheer leading routines and dances, they learn them by counting to 8. This is called an 8-count."

I had her stand up and do an 8 count with me and her face lit up like the Fourth of July. It was such a simple thing, but so worth it.

These are the moments I love teaching the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment