Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Mississippi Girl Don't Change Her Ways...

I am headed to Mississippi tomorrow morning. After a rocky start things have really started to fall into place. I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to work with 100 talented, dedicated, and passionate individuals! I am sure that I will learn so much from them and am excited to get to the point where not only can I remember everyone's name, but really know them and make new memories with them.

All week (and really for the past few months) Institute (our 5week training program) in the Mississippi Delta has been something on the forefront of everyone's minds. I was excited to start training, but at the same time I was dreading living in the middle of no-where, dealing with way too hot temperatures, fighting mosquitoes, and living on very little sleep. I don't like to speak for other people, but I am pretty sure this was the feeling that many other CMs had.

On Friday, we had a session about what to expect at Institute. I had a pretty big reality check. The staff member that led this session did a great of explaining/ reminding us WHY we were going to the Delta. It is not about us...it is about the students that we get to work with in the Delta and when we get back to Nashville. It is always about the students. We start on the path to becoming great teachers at institute because we feel the pressure and urgency to make sure the students in the Delta have an excellent educational opportunity. CMs are not the type of people who accept mediocrity or failure...especially when we know students' lives and futures are impacted by our actions. We become great teachers by doing everything we can to give the students what they need. This session made me realize something very important: it's not about US anymore. It's about the students. As I head to Mississippi I am going to leave you with the Delta vision. In the Delta during summer school, TFA creates the 2nd largest school system in the region. We have the privilege to make a lasting impact.

The Mississippi Delta TFA Vision:
We see a vibrant Delta where students have unlimited choices and opportunities and are able to positively impact their communities as a result of a rigorous and inspiring education.


No comments:

Post a Comment