I finally made it to Nashville! It has been a long time coming, but I am finally here! It was really hard leaving UC and Cincinnati, but I am starting to really like it here. I will admit, I am a little bit homesick though.
One thing I loved about today is that we had a community panel with all different players in education reform. They gave me a lot to think about. In the interest of time...I have to be ready for dinner in like 10 minutes...here is a list of some of the things on my mind:
- How do you as a teacher and a Corps Member going to talk about the work you are doing?
- Public opinion's top issues in education: funding, discipline, parenting vs. our panel: teacher quality
- We need to re-professionalize the teaching profession...transform it into a career that others respect the weight and responsibility of this role; create a setting of healthy-competition; set up a system of leadership for professional growth.
- Many teachers who leave the profession say they wanted a setting in which team spirit, unity among co-workers, and autonomy is the norm.
- What is a teacher's role in education reform?
- "There is no pinnacle moment in teaching."
- "You have to cease any opportunity that you have to expose to others what is happening in your classroom."
- Tennessee legislation: charter school laws, the Achievement School District
- How can we make teacher effectiveness a standard. It is not ideal for programs like this one to have a bunch of "rock stars" into the classroom and have them leave after a few years.