Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Tuesday, June 7, 2011

First days in Nashville

I finally made it to Nashville! It has been a long time coming, but I am finally here! It was really hard leaving UC and Cincinnati, but I am starting to really like it here. I will admit, I am a little bit homesick though.

One thing I loved about today is that we had a community panel with all different players in education reform. They gave me a lot to think about. In the interest of time...I have to be ready for dinner in like 10 minutes...here is a list of some of the things on my mind:

- How do you as a teacher and a Corps Member going to talk about the work you are doing?

- Public opinion's top issues in education: funding, discipline, parenting vs. our panel: teacher quality

- We need to re-professionalize the teaching profession...transform it into a career that others respect the weight and responsibility of this role; create a setting of healthy-competition; set up a system of leadership for professional growth.

- Many teachers who leave the profession say they wanted a setting in which team spirit, unity among co-workers, and autonomy is the norm.

- What is a teacher's role in education reform?

- "There is no pinnacle moment in teaching."

- "You have to cease any opportunity that you have to expose to others what is happening in your classroom."

- Tennessee legislation: charter school laws, the Achievement School District

- How can we make teacher effectiveness a standard. It is not ideal for programs like this one to have a bunch of "rock stars" into the classroom and have them leave after a few years.

Dinner time!

No comments:

Post a Comment