Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Monday, June 27, 2011

Because one is not enough

Remember my special project student? Did you really think I would stop at one?

Special Project #2: Make Learning Fun

One of my "enrichment kids" (the students who are in summer school, but on grade level) is much more mature than the other kids. He almost never smiles, rarely pays attention and clearly could care less about my songs or stories--he is also the highest student in the class.

On Friday we had a break through. I was reading Curious George with every bit of animation I could muster...which was a lot considering I was on 3 hours of sleep and my co-lab partner said that that was the most engaged she had seen K the entire week. Yes! Triumph!

Later during dismissal I called him aside to talk with him a little bit and get some information from him. Why? My new goal is to make K excited about learning. He is on level now, but if school does not excite him, challenge him, or interest him I am afraid his skills will not last.

So I started, "K, I noticed you liked our Curious George book today. Do you like books like Curious George?"

"No, ma'am."


((you do too!)) "Hmmm. What kind of books do you like?"

After playing 20 questions (literally) this is what I figured out:

Favorites: Winnie the Pooh, bull dogs, and knights who save princesses. 

I also found out that he hate our songs, but loves hip hop (though I couldn't get him to dance with me). This is what I have to work with...challenge excepted. Let the hard work begin. I will help him have fun at school.

Monday's investment strategy: "Rappin' Clappin' Singing' Counting Rap" Somehow I don't think this was quite what he was thinking, but it is a  first step!

No comments:

Post a Comment