Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Sunday, June 19, 2011

Assessment Driven Instruction

One of the biggest changes I have had to make in my teaching is the idea of planning based on objectives and assessment (instead of fitting objectives to activities or a hybrid of both ways of planning). It makes a lot of sense to plan based on objectives and growth assessment, but at the same time I feel like I have lost a little bit of the creativity and sparkle that is typical of my lessons. I have been so focused on teaching to the template, that those things that to me, and for many of my students, really make a memorable lesson.

I do believe that assessment driven instruction is both necessary and effective, but right now my challenge is to find a balance. My students deserve me at my best and I right now I do not feel that way. It has been a long week and writing lessons has become a mechanical process rather than an enjoyable one. On the plus side...the three lessons I have written this week are very well planned and are much more detailed than the majority of plans I wrote last year. I have a feeling that tomorrow this planning, when put into action, will pay off. Despite being a little bit boring, the lessons are solid and my students will learn from them. That is enough for the first few days. My goal for Thursday and Friday's lessons are to put the magic, a long with a backwards-planned structure, back into reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment