Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Comprehension

" In the case of good books, the point is not how many of them you can get through, but rather how many of them can get through you." --Mortimer J. Adler


This was the opening to our literacy session today and I love it. I am not going to lie, I spent a lot of time during the session texting. I wasn't trying to be rude, it had just been a long day and in the advice of my CMA (core member advisor)...check out when you think you can teach the material. After working with Melanie and taking 6 courses of ECE literacy, I think I have a pretty good handle on it. I really like how the session simplified teaching reading comprehension. I wish I had this method when I first started! Here are some take-a-ways...

Process for creating lit. objectives:
(1) read the objective--what does it mean, what will students be able to do
(2) answer: what is the literary element focused on?
(3) Answer: What will students do with that literacy element? (What is the verb?)
(4) Answer: What reading strategy best supports performing this objective?

Defining key points:
WHAT: Definition of literacy element
HOW: Explanation of the process of applying the reading strategy. "In order to _____, good readers ________, so they can better understand the text."
WHY: Tell why using the strategy will help them better understand.

In TFA world defining key points helps teachers effectively structure assessments, connects to key goals, and ultimately frames the presented lesson.

Today was refreshing. I feel like I learned a lot to refine and improve my planning and assessment skills--mainly to think more critically about planning and actions in the classroom. I am excited for tomorrow when we begin to write our own plans!

Side note: planning and assessment are two of my weakest points as a teachers. I am lucky to have a natural instinct of what a well-put together lesson looks like and thus, over the past year I was very lazy in my planning. I would often write my plans after teaching. Looking back, when I slacked off on the planning my students got a "good" teacher. When I really planned well, my lessons would go better. That is when my students got a "great" teacher. Now, with this training, my students will have the opportunity to have an "excellent" teacher--one who is constantly developing. This is what they deserve. Nothing less.

Some fun shared on our TFA*Nashville page:


Have a good night...be glad you don't have to wake up at 4:50am like this girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment