Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Saturday, October 9, 2010

On our Minds: Picture This

Scholastic recently posted on their  "on our minds" blog about the trend for children to be pushed into reading chapter books over picture books. I personally did not realize this was a trend.(although looking back at my last few times in the children's section of the library or bookstore I did hear children being pushed to pick out something harder or more challenging). I do not like it though.

I will let the blog, which responds to the NY Times article, Picture Books No Longer a Staple: Picture Books Languish as Parents Push 'Big Kids' Books speak for itself.

I agree with the major points in the blog completely. I do think that another important point to bring up is this: Why does it have to be picture books v. chapter books? We should be helping our children read both as both can teach valuable skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment