Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Sunday, January 9, 2011

Inspiration from the 2011 World Community Conference

This past Saturday I attended a conference at the Cincinnati Zoo. The conference showcased the work of graduate students in the Global Field Program and Advanced Inquiry Programs co-created by Miami University and the Cincinnati Zoo. The conference's intent was to celebrate science, education, conservation, and learning...and I can say it did that and so much more!


While I do not have the time or energy to fully explain what I saw and heard, I did write down and pull from the conference program/materials several key phrases that to me, help define the conference:



  • Inquiry-driven education
  • international partnerships
  • success in the protection and propagation of endangered animals and plants
  • build an alliance
  • community-based learning for the benefit of ecological communities, student achievement, and global understanding
  • authentic dialogue
  • "That's all we can really do--make a difference where we are."
  • time in nature benefits students
  • What more can I do? How can I reach them?
  • Increase inquiry
  • Focus, Purpose, Have a cause.
  • Cultural experience
  • Diverse cohort
  • "We tell students all of the time to make a difference, but you can go all the way from Kindergarten to high school to college without ever practicing making a difference."
  • environmental education
  • Living with people, alongside of them
  • build partnerships with small, grassroots organizations
  • children eat 33% more when lunch is after recess
  • mindfulness in the classroom--give children the opportunity for a positive break
  • Incomparable field experience
  • Inquiry as a lifestyle
For more information:

Can you tell I am inspired?


No comments:

Post a Comment