Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Friday, January 21, 2011

I AM GOING TO BE A TEACHER!

The best thing about this week was that I was accepted into Teach For America (well that, and the 2 snow days). I am going to Nashville and will be teaching in an Elementary school! I officially accepted my offer last night and it was honestly a rush of emotions. I cannot believe that after 4 years of wanting to be a teacher I actually have the next step in place--I AM GOING TO BE A TEACHER. A "real" teacher now (according to my students). I am excited and overwhelmed and excited and terrified and overjoyed. The teaching part is totally exciting, the idea of picking up my life and dropping down in Nashville is the terrifying/exciting/overwhelming part.

I love it here in Cincinnati and honestly, for the past month I had totally convinced myself that there was no way I was going to be accepted into TFA and was starting to really like the idea of teaching in Cincinnati and pursuing a masters in teachers education from the Advanced Inquiry Project. Back-up plans were starting to take over my reality. My new, as of 2 days ago, reality is that I will be a teacher in Nashville, TN. A place I have never visited and have heard both horrible and incredible things about. I am excited to meet my future students and colleagues and preparing to work harder than I have ever worked in my life (which for those of you who know me, is REALLY hard). I am excited to  begin a new chapter in my life, but at the same time, not ready at all to finish up the one I am living in. Hopefully the next 4 months will get me ready, and I intend to live out every moment of my last 4 months in Cincy.

Do not get me wrong, I am nothing but happy with my decision to apply for and now join Teach For America. I truly believe that this organization is the best choice for my future and I believe that the impact I can make in my future classroom with my future students will be greater as a result of being a Corps member. I admire everything about their organization and I feel lucky to be a part of a movement of hardworking, dedicated individuals who have a common goal. Nashville, ready or not, here I come!



Fun fact of the post: Cincinnati is give or take about 20 minutes, the exact half way point between Akron and Nashville. How perfect is my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment