Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Thursday, November 4, 2010

Teachable Moments

During my first observation in Preschool Practicum, my supervisor spent a lot of time talking with me about the importance of teachable moments (apparently I missed quite a few). It was probably the most influential talk I have had since beginning practicum, and I can guarantee you I am a better teacher now than I was because I have been able to capitalize on "teachable moments."

The hardest thing about teaching in the moment is that it is unplanned. As a teacher, you have to be flexible and make a split-second decision on whether or not this moment is worth capitalizing on, worth taking away from your next lesson. I have found that more often or not, teachable moments are worth it. 

Being able to capitalize on a moment, and really capturing the students' interest, is an invaluable opportunity to expand a students' learning. 

This Tuesday was full of teachable moments...

I gave impromptu lessons on being courteous to authority figures, allowing people to concentrate on their work, why we shut off water when we work on plumbing, how a crock pot works, and, my favorite, the voting process. Needless to say, it was a crazy day. I do, however, believe that the lessons learned were worth the craziness! I believe we learn by living, regardless of whether or not we are in the classroom!

I found a blog forum from PBS that could not be better at explaining teachable moments...I highly recommend it:


No comments:

Post a Comment