Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog! I use my blog as a way to reflect, share, organize, and re-conceptualize my views as an educator. Enjoy and feel free to comment, post, disagree, and share your opinion. The more perspectives, the better!


Sunday, November 7, 2010

NYT Best Illustrated Children's Books of 2010

In Teaching Reading Through Children's Literature and many subsequent courses we learn that illustrations are not just for looks. Children learn through looking at the pictures. The illustrations in children's books tell part of the story. They are there to compliment and enhance the plot.

In our classroom, we have teach the children that there are 3 ways to read: 1. Read the words 2. Read the pictures (notice we say READ not look) and 3. Re-tell the story.

Children who practice all three ways will have the best comprehension of the story.

I am excited to read the books listed in the New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books of 2010. I will put it on my 'to do' list! I hope the books are as good as the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment